Women's Self Defense - A Class of Men?

Will this article change your mind about the perfect mix for a martial-arts class? On several occasions, I have offered to help out a women's self-defense class. My wife is the only female to accept my offer.

Most of the time, these women self-defense teachers claim that theirs is a women only class. I say, of course -- you teach women. I am offering myself to role play the part of an attacker, so they can practice defending a big, heavy brute.

Still, they decline my offer.

It's a shame. These women and female teens will only get practice against other females. I suppose this is fine, if they only plan on defending themselves against other females.

I have always imagined women's self-defense as learning to defend against any attacker, especially, giant, hairy, male ruffians (pardon the stereotype). More Realistic Women's Self-Defense Women could learn to defend themselves better, if they made it a point to practice in as close to realistic conditions as possible.

They need to learn to take on a heavy male attacker.

Women who want to defend themselves absolutely have to practice their martial techniques against someone who is significantly stronger.

My wife is only five-feet, two inches tall, and weighs less than 120 pounds. I think she has always fared so well in the martial arts, because she has worked out almost exclusively against big, strong guys. (I weigh over 270 lbs.)

If you are a woman and want to really learn to defend yourself, then don't always work out with the smallest, mousiest woman in the class. And don't join a women only self-defense class.

Join a mixed class-- one with both men and women. Or better yet, turn a men's class into a mixed class... by joining them. And then workout with the big, strong guys. Learn what works against them. (Hint: Don't rely on strength.)

If you are looking for ways to counter a particularly strong attack, read my Free ebooklet, Elbow Strike Counters.... Elbow Strike Counters

Keith is author of several martial-arts books, ebooks, and ebooklets. You'll find them at:
Kerwin Benson Publishing. (Free ebooklets, cartoons, and more.)

Keith is the editor and author of several martial-arts ezines, including:
Pascal has taught martial arts for almost 30 years. He quit high school teaching in 2000, to become a full-time martial-arts writer.



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Keith_Pascal/63154



1 comment:

  1. it's very important to focus on a targeted
    programe

    ReplyDelete

If you like this site, please consider a small donation!